History
Home Rooms History Location Staff

 

The Bibb House is a one-story Greek Revival structure constructed in 1867. James H. Bibb sited the home just west of Madison Station on some 300 acres that he purchased the year before. The house retains its simple and massive styling, has clapboard siding, and is sheltered by a pyramidal roof. It is a contrast to the Victorian dwellings that dominate the area. An addition was made to the home in the early twentieth century; and a set of carriage steps, a watering trough, and a cistern remain on the property.

James H. Bibb figured prominently in the history of Madison after the Civil War. When the railroad depot that was destroyed during the war was rebuilt; Bibb and other merchants established businesses near it in the town. In 1869, Bibb joined a group of Madison Station residents to petition incorporation of the town as Madison and he was elected to the first city council. After contracting measles the very next year, he died at the age of 44. His widow and six children survived him.

The James H. Bibb House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Phil and Ann Whatley are the owners.

Home ] Rooms ] [ History ] Location ] Staff ]

Madison Station Solutions

Madison Station Solutions designed and hosted this site.
Mail questions or comments concerning site design to Webmaster at this domain.
Copyright 1999 - 2005 Madison Station Solutions. All rights reserved.
Last modified: February 2, 2005